Search
  • Pre-Hurricane Conferece

THE 2021 HURRICANE SEASON COULD BE DEVASTATING



The 2021 hurricane season in the Americas could be devastating in a region that has yet to recover from last year's storms and the COVID-19 pandemic.


The season officially began on May 15 in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, and will begin on June 1 in the Central Pacific; both will end on November 30, 2021.


Initial forecasts for the 2021 hurricane season in the Atlantic Ocean predict an above-average season compared to previous years. On the other hand, the eastern and central Pacific will have a close or normal season in 2021 (source NOAA).


NOAA's Climate Prediction Center predicts another higher-than-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters predict a 60% chance of a season above normal, a 30% chance of a near normal season, and a 10% chance of a season below normal. However, experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.


The COVID-19 pandemic poses challenges in the future to respond in a timely manner to the potential onslaught of storms in the region, and contexts such as the migratory phenomenon and social outbreaks exponentially increase the effects.


As part of the preparedness strategy, the IFRC will host the annual preparatory conference from June 23 to 25, 2021, in order to systematically share key components of the strategy with stakeholders across the Americas.

0 views0 comments